A transport wheelchair is a wheelchair pushed by another person. It is relatively light compared to other wheelchairs and has much smaller wheels. When considering this type of wheelchair, it’s important to select the right one for your specific needs.
6 important factors you should know before picking a transport chair:
- Buying isn’t the only option: Depending on your lifestyle, it may make much more sense for you to rent and have your wheelchair delivered to your home when you need it. This is especially true if you don’t plan to use it often or have limited space for it.
- A transport chair has specific uses: You usually use a transport chair only for short trips. It’s ideal for a quick visit to the doctor, the mall or a restaurant. Longer journeys usually require a larger manual or automatic wheelchair.
- Size and weight are the most important factors: When choosing this style of wheelchair, pick one that’s light while still providing adequate seating for the user. At any size, you can maximize comfort with a wheelchair cushion.
The industry uses three standard chair sizes, including:
- Narrow: 17-inch seat for users weighing 120 pounds or less;
- Medium: 19-inch seat for users between 120-300 pounds;
- Wide: 22-inch or wider seat for users of 300 pounds or more.
- Remember, all transport chairs fold to the same size: No matter what size the chair is while in use, it will actually fold to the same storage size: 30 inches by 9 inches. That means it’s easy to fit these wheelchairs inside almost any car.
- They can come with hand brakes: Not all wheelchair users can use the foot-locking brakes that typically come on the rear wheels of these chairs. If you prefer or need to use hand controls, some transport chairs do offer them.
- Fall prevention is important: Not all transport chairs come with seat belts, but some do. A seat belt is recommended if the chair will be used for two hours or longer in a given day. Also consider one if the user suffers from any severe, involuntary movements.
PA Healthcare Makes it Easy for You to Benefit from the Best Wheelchairs Around
PA Healthcare offers home delivery of transport wheelchair rentals throughout San Diego County and Imperial County. To find out more, connect with us any time. We look forward to helping you.